The Milwaukee Lodge Library maintains a collection of books, periodicals, and audio-visual materials. The collection is for use by members of the lodge only.
Only the general collection is available for checkout.
Materials from the Reserve collection may not be taken from the lodge but may be viewed on site. The Reserve collection contains materials that would be difficult to replace:
- Books that are unique, historically significant, or first editions
- Books that are no longer in print
- Magazines published in the 1800’s when the society began
- Current issues of the monthly “The Theosophist” from the international headquarters in Adyar.
Materials added to the collection reflect expressions of theosophy in its broad definition and viewpoint, interpretations or abridgements of texts that formed the foundation of the Theosophical Society, and materials that explore the objects of the Society. Request can be made to the Librarian for the addition of specific books or audiovisual media to the general or reserve collections.
Only members of the Milwaukee Lodge may sign out library materials.
- The library collection is available to members before and after lodge meetings, and at any scheduled time that the lodge is open.
It is important that lodge meetings are not interrupted.
- Members may borrow materials in the general collection for a period of one month. Use the following procedure:
- Contact the librarian or assistant librarian;
- Sign the card attached to the back of the book;
- Enter name, email address and telephone number in the Library Loan Record
- The librarian/assistant stamps the book with the date due and files the book’s card.
- Any member who loses materials loaned from the library – or fails to return it to the lodge within two months of the date it is due – is responsible for reimbursing the lodge for the cost of its replacement. It is important to keep in mind that some materials in the collection are in limited supply and may be costly to replace.
- The use of Reserve materials is restricted to the lodge. Members interested in using them can request an appointment to spend time at the lodge by calling the librarian.
- A book may be renewed for another month. Books signed out for the summer are on loan for three months.
President Kathleen Neuman in the library (2015).